Showing posts from June, 2019

[Review] Longrow - 18 years old (2016) 46%

Second review in one month, and more Campbeltown whisky courtesy of @whisky_whims with the second sample Stuart sent to me: Longrow 18. Like with Kilkerran, I am looking at a peated single malt from Campbeltown but this one is a little older and was aged in ex-rum casks for 60% of it and refill sherry casks for the remaining 40%.  Longrow is produced by the Springbank distillery. Springbank is their mildly peated single malt and has been distilled two and a half times. Hazelburn is the name of their triple distilled non-peated single malt, and Longrow is their double distilled highly peated single malt. Longrow 18 is released in small batches each year but the casks used vary from year on year so do check the bottling date printed in black underneath the back label to know which one you have in your hand! That you very much again to Stuart for this great sample. Go and have a look at Whisky Whims' YouTube channel and check out his review of this Longrow 18! Slàinte!

[Review] Kilkerran - Heavily Peated 59.3%

Today I am reviewing a sample sent to me by Stuart @whisky_whims. He got in touch with me on Instagram and offered to send me a sample of Longrow 18 (review to follow) and of the brand new Kilkerran Heavily Peated. I guess I could not pass on the opportunity! Kilkerran comes from Campbeltown. It is produced by the Glengyle distillery and is one of the new kids on the block having only started production in 2004 (even if the distillery was actually founded in 1872 it had stopped production in 1925) I have tried their standard 12 and their 8 year-old cask strength which are fantastic so I am looking forward to pour this Heavily Peated sample into my glass! A little leak in transit but nothing too serious fortunately! There is no nonsense here as far as the presentation is concerned. This Kilkerran is presented in its natural colour, unchillfiltered and at the cask strength of 59.3%. The whisky has been aged for 55% in ex-bourbon casks and 45% in ex-sherry casks. Nose: Q